ALL THINGS FEET RELATED FOR LADIES

Friday 8 April 2011

BUNIONS AREN'T PRETTY, BUT THIS IS NOT A GOOD REASON FOR SURGERY

As it turns out my GP sent me to an Orthopaedic Surgeon at Toronto Western Hospital whose primary area of interest and expertise is in knee and hip surgery. When I asked him if he’d done much bunion surgery, he said, “I’ve done a few”. This appointment was a total waste of time. My GP can be a total bonehead sometimes. I will take this as a sign that my bunions are meant to stay, for now. An Orthopaedic Surgeon can help you decide if bunion surgery is the best option, but get a good referral, unlike mine.

My take on the matter - there is a very lengthy rehabilitation and too many potential complications in having bunion surgery simply for cosmetic reasons. The width of the forefoot will only decrease by about 1/8 of an inch – that being said, if you want to have bunion surgery just to fit into slim shoes and strappy sandals, you might end up very disappointed. For those who have significant chronic pain and are unable to correct the problem with adaptive footwear and non-invasive therapies, surgery is a treatment option.

0 comments:

Post a Comment